arrow_back Brexit. Do my clients who are not VAT registered need to apply for an EORI number now, if they trade with Europe?

in VAT Q&A Helpful Soul
370 points

edited by
1 vote

I know that HMRC should automatically enrol you for the EORI (Economic Operator Registration and Identification) Scheme if your business is VAT registered.

Will my clients who trade with Europe but whose turnover is below the VAT threshold and not registered for VAT need to apply for this now?

1 Answer

1 vote
Best answer

Any business which does not have an EORI number post-Brexit, will not be able to continue to trade with EU Member States.

More than 88,000 VAT registered companies across the UK will be allocated an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number by the HMRC in order to keep trading with customers and suppliers in the EU after Brexit.

If a business is not VAT-registered, it will not have an EORI number allocated automatically. However businesses will still need to register for an EORI number to be able to trade with customers and suppliers in EU Member States. They can do so by contacting HMRC online on

Accounting Guru
10.1k points

selected by

Related questions

2 votes
1 answer
Changes to the VAT MOSS SchemeI have clients that sell digital products to consumers in the EU and use the UK's VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) service to declare sales ...
asked Dec 13, 2019 in VAT Q&A alfn Helpful Soul
370 points
0 votes
1 answer
International VAT triangulation ending?A client of mine orders goods in France and has them delivered to another EU customer without needing to be registered for VAT in either of ...
asked Dec 13, 2019 in VAT Q&A alfn Helpful Soul
370 points
0 votes
1 answer
VAT charge to the US for services provided mostly online?I run a small consultancy firm in the UK and am VAT registered. I have a new US client and initially will be fulfilling the sessions via Skype, ...
asked Dec 12, 2019 in VAT Q&A Mingram Accounting Expert
550 points
1 vote
3 answers
Should VAT be charged to Ireland-based company?A client who is based in the UK provides services to an Ireland-based company. Client is now nearing the £85K revenue threshold and wants to ...
asked Nov 30, 2019 in VAT Q&A jdimov Accounting Expert
1.6k points

Welcome to Aligned Financials - a quality monitored UK Accounting and Bookkeeping Forum, where you can freely ask questions and receive in-depth answers from experts and other members of the community.

Whether you are a business owner, self-employed, an accounting practitioner or student of accounting, you will find a wealth of high-quality information here. Don't see answers to your specific question? Just post a new question and it will be answered by qualified accountants, typically within 24 hours.

If you are an accounting professional, register now and begin answering questions to start building up your reputation. All questions and answers are rated by the community so the better answers your provide, the more points you will gain - especially for answering popular questions.

Of course, there are also some other UK accounting forums on the Internet.