arrow_back Changes to the VAT MOSS Scheme

in VAT Q&A Helpful Soul
370 points
2 votes

I have clients that sell digital products to consumers in the EU and use the UK's VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) service to declare sales and pay VAT due in EU member states. 

Is the closing of the VAT Moss Scheme dependant on the terms of trade to be negotiated after Brexit or do I need to advise my clients to register for VAT MOSS in any EU member state (or in each state where they sell digital services to consumers) regardless of what trade deals are agreed after we leave the EU?

1 Answer

2 votes
Best answer

For UK businesses making cross-border supplies where the place of supply is another EU member state, before Brexit VAT MOSS let such businesses register and pay VAT to HMRC instead of having to register for VAT in up to 27 other EU member states.

Now, after Brexit, according to the HMRC the final return period for the UK’s VAT MOSS system will be the period ending 31 December 2020. For sales made on or after 1 January 2021, businesses will not be able to use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (VAT MOSS) service to declare sales and pay VAT due in EU member states.

For sales made from 1 January 2021, businesses will need to register for either:

  • VAT MOSS in any EU member state
  • VAT in each EU member state where digital services are sold to consumers

This should be done by the 10th day of the month following the first sale to an EU customer.

Registrations for VAT MOSS in an EU member state is not possible before 1 January 2021.

You can use the following website to check regarding registrations for VAT MOSS:

Alternatively, businesses which do not want to use VAT MOSS from 1 January 2021, they must register for VAT in each EU member state where they sell digital services to consumers. 

Accounting Guru
10.1k points

edited by

Related questions

1 vote
1 answer
Brexit. Do my clients who are not VAT registered need to apply for an EORI number now, if they trade with Europe?I know that HMRC should automatically enrol you for the EORI (Economic Operator Registration and Identification) Scheme if your business is VAT registered ...
asked Dec 13, 2019 in VAT Q&A alfn Helpful Soul
370 points
0 votes
1 answer
International VAT triangulation ending?A client of mine orders goods in France and has them delivered to another EU customer without needing to be registered for VAT in either of ...
asked Dec 13, 2019 in VAT Q&A alfn Helpful Soul
370 points
0 votes
1 answer
VAT charge to the US for services provided mostly online?I run a small consultancy firm in the UK and am VAT registered. I have a new US client and initially will be fulfilling the sessions via Skype, ...
asked Dec 12, 2019 in VAT Q&A Mingram Accounting Expert
550 points
1 vote
3 answers
Should VAT be charged to Ireland-based company?A client who is based in the UK provides services to an Ireland-based company. Client is now nearing the £85K revenue threshold and wants to ...
asked Nov 30, 2019 in VAT Q&A jdimov Accounting Expert
1.6k points

Welcome to Aligned Financials - a quality monitored UK Accounting and Bookkeeping Forum, where you can freely ask questions and receive in-depth answers from experts and other members of the community.

Whether you are a business owner, self-employed, an accounting practitioner or student of accounting, you will find a wealth of high-quality information here. Don't see answers to your specific question? Just post a new question and it will be answered by qualified accountants, typically within 24 hours.

If you are an accounting professional, register now and begin answering questions to start building up your reputation. All questions and answers are rated by the community so the better answers your provide, the more points you will gain - especially for answering popular questions.

Of course, there are also some other UK accounting forums on the Internet.